Who doesn’t love chocolate?
Animals, that’s who.
The following cake can be topped with something as simple as a dusting of powdered sugar, or for an extra 30 calories, add the cocoa glaze that I’ve listed below! Low in fat, at just 215 calories (for a massive slice of cake+glaze), you can occasionally treat yourself to something decadent and sinful. Leave off the frosting, and you cut way back on the sugar, too!
Note: The macros for the recipe below include the cocoa glaze.
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup plant milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups erythritol (or other sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 1/2 cup sucanat or evaporated cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee (decaf is OK)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium eggs (or 2 flax eggs: 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Use to frost your favorite cake recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F, then spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Set the pan aside.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, pour in milk and add the teaspoon of vinegar. Set aside while you mix the dry ingredients.
- Mix erythritol and sucanat in a medium bowl. Then, sift in flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Pour milk and vinegar mixture into a large bowl. Beat in coffee and applesauce, then beat in an egg at a time. Add vanilla to mixture.
- Beat dry mixture into wet mixture, 1/3 at a time, until fully combined.
- Pour batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool fully, then frost with the glaze.