I made this to serve with leftover lasagna. It comes together in no time, and it doesn’t taste healthier. Read more after the jump!
Cheddar scones that taste great, without all the guilt.
- 67 grams all-purpose flour
- 75 grams whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 55 grams reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 60 milliliters milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment (nonstick also works).
- Sift together flours, baking powder, and salt. In a food processor, combine dry ingredients with the cheddar cheese and pour the milk into the food processor. Process until the dough starts to come together. (Alternatively, you can perform this step by hand.) Add more milk if necessary.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead 6-8 times, then form a 1" flat circle with the dough. Cut the dough into four equal pieces and separate the pieces. You can bake the scones in this shape, or you can opt to form them into rounds. Place the scones onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake scones for 15 minutes (or until golden brown). Allow the scones to cool before serving them.
Recipe inspired by Low-fat feta scones by Piece of Cake.